Taiwan is a relatively large island nation a couple of hundred kilometres off the coast of China.
It has a population of less than 25 million and its economy is one of the largest in Asia, and many people around the world associate Taiwan with advanced electronics manufacturing.
Some of the largest and most well-known Taiwanese companies include:
- Hon Hai Precision, better known as Foxconn, the contract manufacturer which makes iPhones and iPads for Apple;
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, another Apple partner which makes chips;
- Quanta Computer, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of notebook computers;
- Acer, another computer and computer peripherals manufacturer;
- HTC, the communications technology giant which recently sold its smartphone-making division to Google; and
- Delta Electronics, which specialises in industrial and infrastructure technologies.
Just around 50 years ago, the agriculture sector accounted for around half of Taiwan’s economy. [Read more…] about Country Insight: Taiwan gets smart about manufacturing