Currently, home solar panels have become very popular worldwide. Renewable energy seems to be the best solution for all those who have concerns about unpredictable fluctuations in the natural gas market, rising prices, and a possible crisis.
Solar panels can provide a private home with at least partial independence from fluctuations in the energy market. In addition, it is the most environmentally friendly solution, and its owner will have more control over costs.
The active use of solar panels to provide electricity to buildings (in which solar energy is converted into electrical energy) and of heating buildings (in which thermo-solar devices are used in the heating systems of houses) started about 35 years ago.
At that time, the first functionally efficient thermosolar circuits were developed, but the first solar panels could be used mostly only in regions with a particularly sunny climate.
Today, thanks to advances in technology, solar panels are becoming more and more popular, more efficient, and more used in temperate countries. There is no doubt that solar energy advantages are undeniable.
1. Environmental friendliness
The exploitation of nature to solve energy problems has caused enormous damage to the environment. Many forests have been deforested, and desertification is also an issue.
If this continues, about 26 trillion tons of soil will be destroyed, CO2 emissions will increase, the ozone layer will continue to deplete, and coal, oil, and natural gas reserves will be depleted.
The operation of solar panels is not harmful to the environment: water is not polluted, natural resources are not depleted, there is no danger to people and animals.
As stated earlier, solar panels do not emit greenhouse gasses but meet our energy needs. When it comes to environmental impact, solar panels have more advantages than disadvantages.
Solar panels provide energy independence. Electricity at home or at the enterprise will always be when the sun shines in the sky. In addition, if you use additional batteries, electricity will be at night too.
3. Reduction of utilities costs
The steady rise in electricity tariffs is a challenge facing people around the world. It can be eliminated with innovative technologies. These are solar panels that are actively used to power buildings.
In addition, all year round, solar energy can be converted into electricity and it is profitable to sell it in power grids.
This is a kind of passive earnings that contributes to a more rapid payback system.
Initially, you will spend money on the purchase of all necessary (panels, inverters) and on the performance of installation work.
After that, you don’t have to spend money constantly paying your electricity bills.
In a few years, your financial investments will be fully paid off. You will benefit from solar energy as the main source.
4. State support
Owners of solar power plants can count on the support of the state, in the form of a variety of subsidies and benefits. Every year, new social programs are emerging in most countries of the world that encourage solar panel owners.
5. Long service life
Most solar panels are designed for more than 20 years of service, during which the system requires minimal maintenance. This means that the home solar power plant does not need high operating costs.
How Much Energy Do Solar Panels Produce?
Solar power plants use photovoltaic technology to generate electricity from solar energy.
All photovoltaic systems are individual and it is difficult to tell exactly how much energy do solar panels produce. This is affected by several factors.
How much energy is generated by solar panels depends directly on their efficiency.
However, their effectiveness is influenced by many other factors:
- Quality of materials. Solar panels based on crystalline silicon were the most used. Monocrystalline silicon-based panels provide the highest efficiency – up to 22 percent, and have the highest cost. Polycrystalline panels have a lower price, their efficiency ranges from 14 to 17 percent. Thin-film amorphous silicon provides the lowest efficiency, but the development of technology makes them promising for wide application.
- The spectrum and intensity of solar radiation. Largely depends on the solar power plant installation region, season, and weather. The solar panel produces electricity when illuminated by light. Depending on the level of insolation, it generates more or less electricity.
- The angle of inclination. The best conditions for generation are created at the inclination of surfaces perpendicular to the radiation of the sun. In practice, the panels are not at an ideal angle – they are fixed in a certain position and do not move behind the sun during the day, and do not follow seasonal changes in the lighting angle.
- Heating photovoltaic modules. Under the action of light, they generate not only electricity but also heat.
- Physical wear during operation. The performance of solar panels as a result of physical wear and tear decreases by an average of 0.8 to 1 percent each year. The use of innovative technologies reduces productivity by only 0.5 percent.
The rated power specified in the device’s passport indicates how much power the battery can produce under optimal conditions. They are tested under ideal standard conditions.
The temperature of the panel is 25°C, the wind speed is zero and the tests are carried out at a certain radiation spectrum.
However, the laboratory environment does not reflect the actual operating conditions of the devices.
The efficiency of most panels is about 18-20 percent – that’s how much sunlight they can turn into electricity.
It is important to consider the reputation and guarantees of the manufacturer – leading brands apply effective technologies and quality materials.
Save on Utility Bills
Sunlight is widely used as an alternative source of energy. Solar generators save on utility bills and can even power the entire heating system.
This is an option for those who want to be independent of a central power outage and take care of the environment.
Solar panels are capable of producing sufficient energy provided they are properly installed and operated. Everything is for your comfort.