The sphere of cargo transportation solves several difficult tasks regarding the optimal delivery of various goods, using all modes of transport.
It is especially difficult to develop a logistics scheme for the transportation of oversized, bulky, and especially heavy structures.
In this article, we will tell you what to consider while choosing 45ft flat rack containers for sale.
The transportation of such goods is complicated not only by the limited characteristics of some vehicles but also by the impossibility of loading them even into an extended container module of a standard configuration.
In this case, attention should be paid to special container equipment, and especially to container platforms such as flat racks, designed just for such situations.
Design features of flat rack containers
Container modules of the flat rack type are often called simply platforms, since, in fact, they are just a container base, supplemented by two end walls, which, among other things, can be folded if necessary.
For the production of such platforms, reinforced metal structures are used, thanks to which the flat rack modules can withstand significant weight loads.
Thus, a 20-foot platform is capable of transporting a cargo weighing about 24 tons, while for a 40-foot module this figure reaches 34 tons.
It should be noted that with a limited weight component of flat rack containers have practically no limits on the volume of cargo, which allows them to be used when transporting special equipment, cars, large production equipment, modular structures, frame metal bases, and so on.
Types and sizes of shipping containers
Unlike universal containers, the base of the flat rack platform is not covered with wooden flooring but is reinforced with additional metal beams.
Special fastening systems built into the platform itself and the end walls securely fix the load on the base, preventing it from moving even with intense shaking and vibration.
Most often, a system of chains and rings, as well as spacer frames, is used as fastening mechanisms.
At the same time, containers of this type, like most universal and special blocks, are also equipped with a full-fledged system of fitting accessories, which makes it possible to use them for freight transportation by any type of transport.
Types of flat rack containers
Depending on the model features, there are several types of flat rack platforms:
- Collapsible Ends: FlatRack is a container, the end walls of which are folded if necessary, which makes it possible to significantly facilitate and speed up the organization of loading and unloading operations.
- Fixed Ends FlatRack: the model is characterized by fixed sidewalls, it provides additional rigidity for fixing the load on the flat rack platform.
- Platform: the base of such a container has neither end nor sidewalls. Most often, such models are used to store goods.
One of the main advantages of flat rack containers is the ability to use both vertical and horizontal loading, as well as speed up work with a crane or crab.
Technical condition of containers
There are many types of new and used shipping containers on the market. If we are talking about buying a used container, let’s know more about their current international labeling. It will tell you a lot about the technical condition of the box and the potential costs of its restoration.
As Is, Where Is
- Needs refurbishment.
- There are pronounced external defects.
- The cost is low.
Wind and Water
- Repair is not needed.
- It is recommended to use as a mini-warehouse for storing goods, materials, or personal items.
- After restoration measures, it can be used for transportation.
- High cost due to good conditions.
- Repair according to IICL standards.
- Can be used in overseas shipping.
Visual inspection of used containers
Let’s consider container types. First of all, the container must be inspected for external damage. An external examination will help identify:
- Hotspots of corrosion. Some boxing elements may hide rust spots. Particular attention should be paid to the ceiling and walls. Corrosion is a serious disadvantage. Restoration of corrosion resistance will be expensive. If the damaged area remains unnoticed, then this will certainly affect the quality of the materials intended for storage.
- Depressurization. It is easy to detect the fact of leakage. We just need to close ourselves from the inside. Daylight will certainly penetrate inside if there is the slightest through the crack. In current operation, this will affect leaks and damage to products inside.
- Container quality. It does not matter the purpose of the purchase: for transportation or for organizing a household unit during the construction of a house.
In any project, the safety of material assets can be ensured only if there are no door defects. It should be checked: the integrity of the fittings, the operability of the locks, and the level of fixation of the seal along the perimeter of the doorway.
Age of containers
The age of the container has fundamental importance. Metal containers last approximately 20 years. They are put on the market for used products at the age of about 12 years since further intensive exploitation becomes costly.
It requires constant investment in repairs. Do not allow yourself to be misled as to the year the module was released. The older it is, the lower its value.
Location point of containers
The worst purchase option is from the seaport or a reliable company. It will not be possible to inspect the object in detail.
At the same time, it is almost certain that the boxes are almost never repaired in this storage location. The condition of the module is unlikely to be satisfactory.
In addition, it is most difficult to pick up a container from the port. The driver must make himself a TWIC (Access to Permitted Port Facilities) in advance. The best option is to pick up the container from a special company.
The advantages of this method:
- companies supplying their containers for storage are responsible for their condition;
- you can examine the potential purchase in detail;
- provision of a vehicle for transportation;
- loading of the module is provided by the depot service.
Long shelf life
Shipping containers have a surprisingly long shelf life. Thus, buying a 45ft flat rack container could be a great solution for business. Pelican Containers is one of the reliable companies to get help with buying a new or used shipping container.